In a rush?
Here is our Top Pick
Bucktool BG2600 Combo
The best tool for sharpening kitchen knives and other types of knives is a belt sander. These power tools function as both grinders and sanders to help you with other jobs too. After some careful research, we found that the best grinder of this type is the Bucktool Combo.
With the Bucktool Combo, you get a 2 X 42-inch belt sander with a six-inch bench grinder that can do preliminary sanding or grinding and touch up or finishing work. If this belt sander with its 1/3-horsepower motor isn't strong enough for you, you can consider the four other models that are worth your money.
Top 5 Best Belt Grinders on the Market
5 Best Belt Grinder Reviews (2020)
1. Bucktool BG2600 Combo - Top Overall Pick
Our choice for the best grinder is this Bucktool Combo, which matches a low price with good features. It has a 120V 1/3-horsepower motor and a six-inch grinder that sits right next to the belt sander to help you do finishing and sanding. You can use the grinder in a vertical or horizontal orientation.
With the included eye shield, you can protect your eyes and adjust the shield based on how you use the tool. Bucktool also gives you a cast iron table and a tracking mechanism for replacing the belt.
- Combo design
- 2 X 42-inch belt sander
- 1/3-horsepower motor
- LED light
- Cast iron table keeps the grinder from wobbling
- Works in both horizontal and vertical orientations
- Eyeshield to keep your eyes safe
- Brush wheel quickly removes rust
- Belt loosens as you use it
- Better for home than pro work
2. Kalamazoo 1SM 1” Belt Sander - Premium Choice
Though Kalamazoo charges more for this belt sander than other companies do, it's worth that cost because of the tilting work table. You can easily adjust the angle of the table as you grind or sand. It works just as well for sanding and grinding plastic as it does with metal and wood.
With the 1/3-horsepower, 110V motor, this belt sander can handle most jobs with ease. You get both a four-inc contact wheel and a 1 X 42-inch belt sander with extra support to keep the belt tight.
- 110V, 1/3-horsepower motor
- Four-inch contact wheel
- 1 X 42-inch belt
- Solid base
- Weighs only 32 pounds for easy moving
- Worktable tilts to change directions and orientations
- Sands and grinds wood, plastic and metal
- Extra support keeps the belt tight
- The motor mounts are a little loose
- Doesn't work well for knife sharpening
3. WEN 4276 6-Inch Belt Grinder - Best for Money
For a solid belt grinder under $100, you can't go wrong with the WEN 4276, which is a six-inch belt grinder. This is the only model we found with a built-in work light that you can adjust as you work. With the eye guards, you can keep debris from flying off the tool and hitting you.
Included with this 3,470-RPM belt grinder are two grinding wheels that each have a different grit. You'll find that the durable base keeps the grinder from shaking and that you can use it with the optional stand that WEN makes.
- 3,470 RPM
- Built-in work light
- Eye guards
- Durable base
- Works with an optional cast iron stand
- Features two sanding wheels with different grits
- 2.1-amp motor runs quietly
- Built-in tool rest keeps your tools close by
- Not as strong as other belt grinders
- Guides are flimsy
4. TACKLIFE PSFS1A Belt Sander
As you search for the best 2x72 belt grinder, you might consider this TACKLIFE 3X18 belt sander. Thanks to the handheld design, it can go everywhere you do and can handle the same jobs that a belt sander can. It features a 10-foot power cord that lets you move as quickly as you need.
This five-amp power tool features a variable speed dial on the front that helps you easily set the speed that you need and change speeds as you sand. With the dust collection system, you can remove dust from the items that you sand, but it will also work with a separate vacuum system.
- Includes 13 sanding belts
- Dust collection system
- Handheld design
- 450 to 750 RPM range
- Easy to use
- Works with vacuum systems for fast cleaning
- 10-foot power cord lets you move freely
- Control knob allows for convenient speed changes
- Can't handle large jobs
- May lack the speed/power that you need
5. Jet 578008 1-HP Bench Grinder
The heavy-duty design of the Jet 578008 belt grinder makes it a popular choice for machine shops and experts who need a fast machine. The one-horsepower motor runs quickly to help you sharpen knives and finish work. If you ever need to stop the motor, you can use the toggle switch on the front.
With the sealed bearings and dust chute, you can reduce the debris that the grinder produces and keep the surrounding area clear. It also has adjustable shields on the front and two grinding wheels that each have a coarse or fine grit.
- One-horsepower motor
- Toggle switch
- Sealed bearings
- Dust chute
- Includes both coarse and fine sanding wheels
- Compatible with lamps and stands from Jet
- Runs fast than similar grinders do
- Adjustable shields to protect users
- Tool rests don't work well
- Requires removing parts to replace the wheels
Final Verdict: Our Top Choice
Checking out our belt grinder reviews is an easy way to find the solid reviews that you need to read before buying a belt sander. The 1/3-horsepower motor and combo design make the Bucktool Combo our top choice. It is the best knife grinder on the market and easy to use because it can handle both the grinding and touch-ups that you need.
A built-in tracking mechanism works with the adjustable tension to help you change the belt when it wears out. That adjustable belt works at a horizontal and vertical orientation too. Make sure that you check out all five of the top belt sanders that we found to pick the best one.